At Gurnos Nursery School we endeavour to provide the best educational opportunities for each child in our school. We have a 'can do' learning culture which enables all children to reach their maximum potential.
ALN stands for Additional Learning Needs. As a school, we recognise that all pupils come to school at different stages and with different needs, however, there are some children who show signs of being more able and talented (see MAT policy) or have a learning difficulty, which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
A child has a learning difficulty if he or she:
- has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age.
- has a disability which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local educational authority.
- has a range of underlying factors such as cognitive, physical or sensory difficulty, emotional and behavioural difficulty or difficulty with speech and language or social interaction.
Such children may need additional or different support from that given to other children of the same age.
At Gurnos Nursery School we aim to:
- Ensure that early identification of a pupil's needs is made;
- Ensure that all pupils reach their full potential;
- Ensure that parents are fully involved from the onset;
- Work in partnership with parents, pupils and other agencies e.g. Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapists, Behaviour Support Team, etc.
- Secure the necessary provision for any pupil who has additional learning needs
Pupils who meet our criteria for having ALN requiring early year’s action/early year’s school action plus/statement will receive support from class teachers, teaching assistants and other adults who can help support the learning process.
For more information, please ask to see the schools ALN Policy.